Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bad Times on Wall Street

$20000. That's how much less I would have, had I not sold all my stocks and mutual funds last November. I'm just going to leave it at that. This market is crazy. I bought a 5.2% 3 month CD today, that was an Ameritrade promotional.

My dishwasher broke, for good, yesterday, so I'm forced to replace it. I say 'for good' because I tend to patch up things, and get them to sort of work. My refrigerator has been quasi-broke for several years.

It couldn't have happened at a better time. I have an office chair I bought at the height of the dot-com bust. It cost me $80, at Staples. I went to Staples just before Christmas, and saw the same chair selling for about $250. Exactly the same chair.

Do you see where I'm going? It's surprising how much lower prices can go, when businesses have trouble moving their merchandise. I smell cheap appliances. I think this year will be a good one for replacing worn out appliances.

So, this may very well be the year that I catch up with the Joneses.

No comments: