Sunday, February 15, 2009

Refinancing

My financial status remains relatively strong.

Looking an my change in net worth through 2008, I've seen a net gain of $38191.30. This does not account for any change in the value of my house, but does account for changes in my investments, including my 401(k) account, over that period - because that's tracked continously, and I never know what my house is worth on any given day - however I do know that its value has dropped dramatically over the past year, by somewhere between 20 and 30 percent.

What I notice is that my peak net worth was in August, and there was a trough, which bottomed out in October. At this very moment, my net worth is $30 more than it was at the peak last August. So, in effect, I had a setback of about 6 months, which came in the form of investment related losses. My net worth, excluding the equity I have in my house, is currently at its highest ever.

Last summer I strongly considered "trading up". I figured I might take advantage of selling my house and moving to a more desirable neighborhood. I actually went through the entire process up to the point of having my house listed on MLS. I bought a new oven (I call it my flat top) and a flat screen 46" TV and some new faucets. I painted just about every room, and packed away all my junk, so the house would look as clean and tidy as possible. Then I decided to back out.

The reason: houses seemed to be dropping in value more precipitously in my neighborhood than they were in the neighborhoods I considered moving too, which were already astronomically expensive. There was no way for me to justify taking such a "leap of faith" as the real estate agent referred to it, during times that were becoming more and more uncertain. So, I decided to stay put.

Then in late November I started receiving emails from a mortgage broker whom I'd contacted earlier, when I wanted to move. He told me about how rates had dropped to historically low levels. Not wanting to be bothered, I asked him what rate I could get. He told me 4.75%, and so I told him that if he could promise me 4.25% - with reasonable closing costs and no points, over the holidays, to give me a call - otherwise I'd get back with him in January or Feburary. I was pretty sure that would be impossible, but it gave me something to think about: how I could potentially benefit by refinancing.

I'll skip all the boring details. On Friday February 6th, I closed on my refinancing with my credit union. I voluntarily paid out an extra $50,000 against my mortgage. My interest rate on a 30 year fixed loan is now 4.625%, and my monthly payment is $1250 less.

The closing costs were $2600, altogether. So, in a couple months, the amount I save on my mortgage payment will just about pay for that. True, I was out the $50,000 up front. But that was a compromise on my part. See, I have been paying an extra $20,000 per year against the principal, for the past two or three years. I figured I'd just pay the $50k, get the nice low payments set in stone for myself, and then not pay extra for a couple years, while building back up that extra payment. Also, I have a hefty amount of cash savings that has just been sitting there collecting dust, since I sold the bulk of my investments in late 2007.

Here's what's funny: my total March 1 payment will be exactly $300 less than what I would have paid in interest, alone, if I had not refinanced.

I've looked at it from many different angles, and one day I'll look back at this as one of the smartest financial decisions I've ever made.

No comments: